I have been in the education field for over 15 years and I joined Tulsa Public Schools in 2007. I have earned both Bachelors and Masters degrees from Langston University. I am a Native Tulsan and Carver and Booker T. Washington alumna!
Sixth Grade Counselor
I graduated with a Bachelors of Arts degree in Psychology and Masters of Science in College Teaching of Psychology, both from Northeastern State University in Tahlequah. I have been a school counselor with Tulsa Public Schools since 2007. I have been at Carver since 2012 as the 7th and 8th grade counselor.
Seventh & Eighth Grade Counselor
As school counselors, we work with students on an individual basis, in small groups and in their classrooms. The focus of the counseling program is on academic skills, career awareness, and personal/social skills. We also attend parent-teacher conferences at the request of the parent/guardian or teacher, as our schedule allows.
Here are some reasons students might want to talk to the School Counselor:
- "I had an argument with my best friend and she doesn't want to be my friend anymore."
- "Some kids in my science class are talking about fighting after school."
- "My parents argue all the time and I don't know what to do."
- "My grandfather is really sick and I'm scared he's going to die."
- "My mom just had a baby and she doesn't have time for me anymore."
- "We're moving again!"
- "My dad wants me to be an engineer like him, but I want to be a pilot."
Here are some reasons parents might want to talk to the School Counselor:
- "This is John's third school this year, and he's having difficulty adjusting."
- "My husband is being deployed in two weeks and Carolyn may need some help coping with this change."
- "Sam used to be excited about school, but lately he doesn't seem to care."
- "My wife and I recently separated and our daughter could use some help understanding this."
- "My son seems to be the target of some teasing and bullying after school. Can you help?"
When are counselors available?
For parents: 8:30 a.m.-3:00 PM. However, please call ahead to schedule an appointment so that the counselor is available. Counselors may be able to meet earlier or later to accommodate your schedule. Many questions can also be answered through email or over the phone.
For students: The counselors are always visible and you can speak with them about a time that best fits each parties need.
Why would I contact my child’s counselor?
In general, the counseling office is a great place to start for any kind of support for your child including academic, personal/social, and college and career counseling. Counselors work with students and families on a daily basis to ensure every student is successful. We often meet with students and parents about improving study skills, setting goals, mental health concerns, high school requirements, and friendship issues. Counselors also meet with students during the school day to discuss topics such as internet safety, bullying prevention, and being a catalyst for positive change on campus. Please contact us for any reason. If we can’t help you, we will direct you to the right person!
How do I access my child’s grades online?
Please contact the office for the initial information that you will need to set up your PowerSchool account. PowerSchool information can also be found on the website under Parents and then view grades.
How do I communicate with teachers?
You will find a staff contact list under Connect with Us and then directory. This will provide you with their email. You can also call the main office and leave a message for the teacher. If you have previously contacted a teacher and would like to set up a meeting with them you can do that with the teacher or through the counseling office.
We know what a big decision choosing a high school can be and we want you to pick the school that is right for you. Several schools throughout the district offer shadowing opportunities that allow you to visit that school and spend the day learning what each school has to offer.
As the year progresses we will be sharing shadowing information to you. You can also seek out shadowing information on the high school's websites.
BTW Carver Day
Tour Booker T. with all your friends. Keep your eye out for more information about BTW Carver Day.